Independent Functional & Integrative Clinic Nelson NZ
Arriving at Reception
The Doctors Room
Health Function arose from the collective personal experiences of the owner-operators while exploring opportunities to increase cognitive, physical and emotional capacity. Collectively bringing a century of front-line medical, engineering and business experience to the party, we decided in 2014 to “crack the code” for running an independent functional & integrative clinic that works for client and clinician.
The underlying principles
- The objective of optimal human performance, resilience and healthy lifespan
- Beginning with the fundamentals of nutrition and lifestyle
- Applying medicine to maintain and restore health by the prevention and treatment of illness
- Superseding reductionism with coordination between medicine & exercise, mainstream and alternative medicine
- Individualizing diagnosis and treatment
- Leveraging technology while maintaining privacy
- Numbers to conquer bias, objectivity to conquer marketing messages and disinformation
- New solutions to new problems without losing sight of accumulated human experience & wisdom
- Real world clinical experience in balance with statistical medical research and client goals
- Assist clients to make informed risk-reward ratio health choices
- The application of neuro-psycho-physiology
Dr Cindy de Villiers
I am an experienced General Practitioner (Family Medicine Physician) having graduated from Stellenbosch University, South Africa in 1990.
I have been involved in acute care and family medicine for the past thirty years. While assisting a client some twenty years ago with Heavy Metal Toxicity, I became aware of the relevance and impact of Functional Medicine. More recently I have developed an interest in personal performance and its application to clients for achieving a healthy lifespan. I have since turned my full attention to combining the Personalized & Functional Medicine modalities to amplify what I am able to achieve with motivated clients.
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.,Ch.B.)
Fellowship of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (FRNZCGP)
Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP)
Fellowship Australasian College of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine (FACNEM)
Bio-Balance Trained (Dr Bill Walsh)
Australasian Integrative Medicine Association: AIMA
Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine: ACNEM
The Australasian Academy of Anti-Ageing Medicine: A5M
- Undertaking a fellowship with A4M
- 11 years of formal medical training and 29 years of registered medical practice in NZ, Australia & South Africa
I love working with people and supporting them in rediscovering how their bodies can come back to movement and wellness that is meaningful in their daily lives.
I’ve worked in health for nearly 40 years in New Zealand and overseas including experience in surgery and general practice through to injury management and rehabilitation. Personally, my challenges have been IBS and hormonal issues and the CAM approach has been the only thing that’s provided me long term and sustainable change.
Over all these years of working with and observing myself and others and our bodies, I know that we all have the ability to change our health direction and to live well.
I am stronger and more resilient and aging doesn’t mean decline.
My health awakening was sparked by a Radio NZ broadcast about being “vertically well until horizontally dead”.
Hence when my choices started to catch up with me in my 30s, I turned to personalized medicine.
As an engineer, I’m interested in the confluence of personalized medicine and tech to avoid being vacuumed into the medical system. I see no reason why the medical balance of power can’t be handed back to those who wish to use informed choice to drive their own health and performance.